The femicide fallacy: tyranny of the ten percent

  • Author(s): Molloy, Molly
  • Abstract: As academic librarians, how many of us have helped students and faculty researching the femicides of Ciudad Juárez, Mexico? For years, Juárez has had the reputation as a place of horrific violence against women. Juárez has become known as "the city that kills women," the place where thousands of "factory girls" have been slaughtered by crazed serial killers, by evil men who consider the city a place where young women are disposable and easy to kill. Despite the huge numbers of homicides in recent years, the perception persists that women suffer most of the violence in the city. Femicide has come to be the dominant narrative--especially in the academic literature and in popular culture, despite the reality that women average less than 10 percent of homicide victims in the city from 1988 to present. Popular culture and especially academic literature present a distorted view of violence in the city because of a distorted focus on murders of women to the exclusion of the other 90 percent of murder victims, who are mainly young men and boys.

  • Author Affiliation: New Mexico State University
  • Original Language: English
  • English Title: The femicide fallacy: tyranny of the ten percent
  • Author Email: mollymolloy@gmail.com
  • Conference: SALALM 59
  • Conference Host: Brigham Young University
  • Conference Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Conference Panel: Panel 11. Roda Viva 2: even more emerging trends and practices
  • Presentation Date: May 13, 2014
  • Content Type: text, still image
  • License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
  • Media Type: computer
  • Carrier Type: online resource
  • Note: View PowerPoint as "outline" in order to read notes for the slides.
  • Download