Job Title: Associate Professor (Librarian) – Chief Librarian
Job ID: 22327
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Reporting to the College’s Provost, the Chief Librarian is responsible for organizing, directing and evaluating library services, information resources, policies, planning, outreach, personnel, budgets, as well as the Library facility and its online presence. This is a tenure-track position.
The Chief Librarian will:
• Serve as the principal advocate for the Library, and its faculty and staff
• Oversee all aspects of Library administration including instruction and reference, public and technical services, collection management and development, institutional archives and special collections, budgeting and staff supervision, facility planning and management
• Mentor and guide untenured and tenured faculty
• Supervise and facilitate continued integration of new and emerging technologies in Library operations, and maintain effective local, regional, and state consortial partnerships
• Establish a strategic vision that aligns the Library’s mission, goals, and objectives with the College’s Strategic Plan
• Serve as Chairperson of the Library Department. Prepare faculty evaluations based on annual goals and carry out Library departmental activities related to faculty promotion and tenure
• Represent the College on the CUNY Council of Chief Librarians which is charged with advancing library services across CUNY
• Represent the Library on College-wide and University committees
• Seek grants to enhance Library funding for systems, resources, programs, and services, and participate in other College fundraising activities
• Demonstrate a record of scholarship
Master’s in Library Science (MLS), Master’s in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution, with a second graduate degree required. Also required is the ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
- At least 5 years demonstrated administrative/management experience in an academic library environment.
- Understanding of and significant experience in addressing the major challenges (including technology) facing academic libraries.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills. Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
From our job posting system, select “Apply Now”, create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
May 23, 2021
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
To apply click here.