APOYO (Apoyo Profesional, Orientación y Oportunidades) A Subcommittee of the Membership Committe
HISTORY: APOYO was founded as an unaffiliated interest group by Jesus Alonso-Regalado and Alison Hicks at the 2014 SALALM conference in Salt Lake City, UT. APOYO became an official subcommittee of the Membership Committee at the 2018 SALALM conference in Mexico City.
To promote a professional community and social connections for early- and mid-career librarians and information professionals, especially those in promotion or tenure-track situations.
- Provide support through peer mentoring & accountability for those undergoing a tenure/continuing appointment and rank advancement process;
- Provide a forum for members to seek out collaborators for research opportunities or volunteers to read drafts;
- Share information about research methods & publishing opportunities informally and through educational workshops;
- Provide an introduction to SALALM for early-career librarians and new members about the organization to foster continued involvement; and
- Hold an informal social gathering at each annual meeting to create connections between members and celebrate tenure/continuing appointment and rank advancement successes.
APOYO curates a list of resources to support their members in their career path.
Chair: Kathia Ibacache (2019-2021)