Operational Handbook – 2016 Edition: Introduction (Archived)
Introduction to 2016 Edition of Operational Handbook
With the adoption of the Bylaws of SALALM (2013), the Operational Handbook was revised in the following ways:
- All citations to Constitution or Bylaws were converted to cite appropriate location in the Bylaws of SALALM (2013).
- Changed all uses of Executive Secretary to Executive Director.
- Changed all uses of Newsletter or SALALM Newsletter to SALALM Website.
- Added “Operational Handbook. I. Duties of Officers and Other Executive Board Members. A. Executive Director” Duty #33: “Distributes, gathers and keeps on file annual Conflict of Interest and Whistleblower Protection policies for all officers, executive board members and committee/subcommittee chairs.
- Added “Operational Handbook. I. Duties of Officers and Other Executive Board Members. A. Executive Director” Duty #35: “Ensures that whistleblower protection notification is posted on the SALALM Website.”
- Added duty to all Officers and other Executive Board members and committee/subcommittee chairs: “Receives, signs, and returns a notice of compliance with SALALM’s Conflict of Interest and Whistleblower Protection policies to be placed annually on file at the Secretariat.”
- Changed Operational Handbook. 2.1. Constitution and Bylaws Committee to 2.1. Bylaws Committee.
- Added “Operational Handbook. 2.4. Membership Committee.” Activity #7: “Oversees work of SALALM Scholarship Subcommittee.”
- Updated “Operational Handbook. 2.6. Nominating Committee. Activities” to reflect current practices of using online balloting for annual elections of Vice-President/President-Elect and Members-at-Large.
- Added “Operational Handbook. 3.2.3. Digital Primary Resources Subcommittee” with its Purpose and Activities statements.
- Updated “Operational Handbook. III. Policy Statements. C. José Toribio Medina Award” to include “At SALALM LX (Princeton, NJ, 2015) the Executive Board approved a redefinition of the award to be a single prize recognizing a publication (format is not a criterion) containing original research,” as well as adding “Criteria for Nomination” (originally formulated in January 1988 and updated in October 1994, July 2010, and January 2016) provided by Orchid Mazurkiewicz, Chair of Editorial Board (Feb. 22, 2016).
- Added “Operational Handbook. Appendix A: SALALM Whistle Blower Policy.”
- Added “Operational handbook. Appendix B: SALALM Conflict of Interest and Annual Statement.”
John B. Wright
Chair, Bylaws Committee, 2013-2016