Pre-Columbian Studies Librarian
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
386057 Library Professional
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluates, selects, and curates collections including monographs, serials, archival collections, and rare books in Pre-Columbian studies
- Provides research support to resident Fellows, Dumbarton Oaks staff, and visiting scholars
- Collaborates with the Reader Services Librarian in responding to reference inquiries
- Identifies digitization priorities for Pre-Columbian library collections
- Advises projects involving Pre-Columbian collections, including collection management, preservation, and reformatting
- Prepares exhibitions, both on-site and online, using the library’s collections
- Represents the Dumbarton Oaks Library to external professional and scholarly constituencies
- Performs related duties as needed
ALA-accredited MLS or foreign equivalent, or PhD in a field relevant to Pre-Columbian studies.
3+ years of experience in an academic or research library.
Knowledge of Pre-Columbian art history, archaeology, and the bibliography of these fields.
Fluency in English and Spanish.
Experience working on Digital Humanities projects. Working knowledge of additional western European languages. Demonstrated knowledge of scholarly trends and practices in Pre-Columbian Studies. Strong commitment to user-centered services. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated involvement in national or international programs or initiatives; involvement in professional or scholarly associations; and interest/engagement with trends and practices in academic libraries. Proven ability to work independently and in a collaborative environment.
Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, a research center supporting scholarship in Byzantine, Pre-Columbian, and Garden and Landscape Studies, seeks a Pre-Columbian Studies Librarian. The Pre-Columbian Studies program at Dumbarton Oaks welcomes an international cohort of scholars for residential fellowships annually as well as other researchers utilizing the collections. The Pre-Columbian Studies Librarian develops in-depth collections supporting scholarship relating to Pre-Columbian Central and South American cultures with historical emphases on art, archeology, and related fields. Pre-Columbian library collections encompass current scholarship, rare books, manuscripts, and photographic document
Accepting applications until March 4, 2019. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking apply.
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Job Function – Library
Sub-Unit – Dumbarton Oaks
Location – USA – DC – Washington
Department – Library
Time Status – Full-time
Union – 00 – Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Salary Grade – 057
Pre-Employment Screening – Criminal, Education, Identity
EEO Statement – We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.