- Hotel & Transportation
- Reports | Minutes | Presentations
- Past Conferences
Currently viewing the tag: "Editorial Board Report"
Saturday, May 28, 2011 5-6 p.m.
Saturday, May 28, 2011 5-6 p.m.
Present: Daisy Domínguez, Víctor Torres, Hortensia Calvo, Melissa Gasparotto, Gayle Williams, Peter Johnson, Paula Covington, John Wright, Orchid Mazurkiewicz (Chair)
1. Publishing notice from Ana María Cobos and Phil MacLeod
- “SALALM, the Seminar on the Acquisition of Latin American Library Materials: The Evolution of an Area Studies Librarianship Organization” in Pathways to Progress: Issues and Advances in Latino Librarianship, to be published by Greenwood in 2011.
2. SALALM Papers
- SALALM 52 (Molloy, 2007) is published
- SALALM 53 (Wright, 2008) with the copy editor; aiming for end of June for completed edit and layout
- SALALM 54 (Graham, 2009) papers are submitted and in prep for the copy editor; expect copy edit and layout to be completed by end of summer, 2011
- SALALM 55 (Acosta, 2010) papers are submitted; expect copy edit and layout to be completed by end of summer, 2011
3. Bibliography of Bibliographies
- Bibliography of Latin American & Caribbean Bibliographies 2004/2005-2005/2006
The Secretariat has just sent it to the printer; probably available shortly after the annual meeting
- Bibliography of Latin American & Caribbean Bibliographies 2006/2007-2007/2008
Manuscript in preparation; Gayle Williams is determined to deliver it to the Secretariat in fall 2011
- Bibliography of Latin American & Caribbean Bibliographies 1990-1999 cumulation to be published by Scarecrow Press in 2012
The possibility of turning the back issues into an online publication has been raised in the past. Melissa Gasparotto will investigate the technical issues. Paula Covington will investigate the costs of scanning the back-files of this and of the Papers.
4. Latin American Information Series
Melissa has identified some guidelines for the series that she is going to publicize on the web site. She will also put out a call for submissions.
5. Medina Award
Víctor Torres reported that a recipient for the award has been selected and will be announced at the opening session of the conference. Víctor also agreed to put together a brief set of guidelines for future Medina Award Committee chairs (deadlines, how to identify possible candidates, procedures, etc.).
6. Hispanic American Periodicals Index
Orchid Mazurkiewicz reported that the final HAPI volume to be published in print is being printed this summer and will be available for sale for $550. The redesign of the HAPI backend system continues. There is a search currently underway for a temporary 3-year position as Associate Editor. This person will help with the move to the new system, as well as assist in processing a backlog of HAPI records. Previously, volunteer indexers had been offered a free copy of the print volume in thanks for their contribution to HAPI. Since there will be no more print volumes, volunteer indexers will now be offered a 10% discount for their institution’s subscription to HAPI (institutions who already receive a consortial discount will receive an additional 5%).
7. Copyediting of SALALM Papers
Over the past couple of years, the possibility of no longer using a professional copyeditor for the Papers has been raised. While this would save SALALM around $2,000 per volume, the organization must be willing to accept a greater inconsistency in the quality of the papers. Orchid will investigate the possibility of either recruiting more members for the Editorial Board who have experience in copyediting and could assist with this or identifying a qualified SALALM member who might be willing to edit the Papers for a nominal fee as a service to SALALM.
8. Online repository
Orchid proposed that SALALM create and host an online repository of papers and presentations related to Latin American librarianship. This repository could include papers and presentations from the annual SALALM conference that aren’t included in the published volume, as well as relevant papers and presentations from other conferences. Melissa and Orchid will investigate the technical issues and will put together a proposal outlining the criteria for inclusion, procedures, etc.
TagsAdán Griego Alison Hicks archives Argentina art audiovisual Brenda Salem cataloging Chile Committee Report Constitution and Bylaws Committee Report Daisy V. Domínguez David Block digitization documentaries e-books Ellen Jaramillo Executive Board Meeting Minutes Felipe Varela Fernando Acosta-Rodríguez film Human Rights John B. Wright John Wright Lynn Shirey Marisol Ramos Martha Mantilla Meiyolet Mendez Melissa Guy Mexico music Pamela Graham Paula Covington Peter Johnson Peter Stern Philip S. MacLeod Rafael E. Tarragó rapporteur reports Richard Phillips Roberto C. Delgadillo SALALM56 SALALM57 Sarah Buck Kachaluba Suzanne M. Schadl Teresa Chapa