Currently viewing the tag: "Affiliated Group Report/Minutes"

SALALM LVI
Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:00 – 5:00pm

 

Present: Adan Griego; Suzanne Schadl; Lief Adleson; Anne Barnhart; Marisol Ramos; Sarah Aponte; Socrates Silva; Barbara Belejack (U of Arizona Lib School Stdt); Alma Ortega (Chair); Berlin Loa (U of Arizona Lib School Stdt); Mercedes Tinoco Espinoza (Enlacista); Graciela Barcala de Moyano (Enlacista); Peter Altekreuger.

1. Action: Everyone who is part of ALZAR will have a chance to vote on the proposed bylaws via e-mail at a later date

2. There have been a variety of issues with the Listserv set up at West Georgia University (WGU). The group decided to create a Yahoo! Groups listserv. Everyone currently on the Facebook group page will be invited by Alma to join the Yahoo! Group.
Action: Alma will create new listserv.
Action: Everyone currently on WGU listserv will be invited to join new list on Yahoo! Groups

3. Marisol Ramos (University of Connecticut) created a Hispano/Latino Resources Google Doc that she shared with the group via LALA-L a few weeks ago but got very little response with that initial announcement.

The goal is to have members of ALZAR fill it out so we can facilitate resource sharing as well as use it when we need to benchmark at our institutions. Anne suggested converting the Google Doc spreadsheet into a form to make it easier to use by those filling it out. The next time this document gets distributed on LALA-L and ALZAR Facebook’s page it will be as a Google Form.

Some felt that some of the questions asked were a bit sensitive when it came to asking for acquisitions spending amounts. On the new ALZAR site it will be possible to create a login so that sensitive information is not readily accessible. The list of resources, such as Libguides and online collections would still remain accessible freely to anyone cruising the ALZAR page.

Action: Marisol will convert the spreadsheet to a form
Action: Marisol will distribute the new form on the ALZAR Facebook page and on LALA-L

4. Newsletter. The group decided that changing the name from Alzar Corner to ALZAR Zone was a good idea. Alma will report this to Daisy Dominguez. There are six (6) issues and we need to be in almost all, if not all, the issues.
Action: Alma to report name change to Newsletter editor

5. Combo meeting. Given the variety of attendance at these meetings from very large to very small, ALZAR wishes to restructure its meetings. There was a general consensus that the ALZAR meeting try to be part business meeting and part presentation or demo of a timely software, resource or program beginning with the meeting held in 2012.
Action: Alma will plan for the next meeting to be half business meeting and half demo meeting

6. Future website. This summer Adán will be migrating the ALZAR page on the SALALM site to a Stanford University server. The new ALZAR site will be managed via Drupal. Suzanne, Marisol and Alma have already worked out what they want to be on the new site regarding the homepage, the mission, goals, etc. This file will be sent electronically to Adán by Suzanne so this work can be incorporated into the new Drupal site.
Action: Adán will migrate the page from the SALALM server
Action: Suzanne will send recommendations for website files to Adán

7. Announcement of new co-chair. Suzanne M. Schadl (University of New Mexico) will be the new co-chair of ALZAR with Alma. Suzannne will be the junior chair/apprentice for 2011-2012.
8. RCL-Latino Studies. Via an e-mail, Ana María Cobos (Saddleback College) announced that there was a need for a new editor/s to oversee the reviews in the RCL. Suzanne volunteered to do it.
Action: Alma will make sure Suzanne and Ana María get in touch during this SALALM meeting.

9. New Business.
Panel for 2012 conference. Marisol charged herself with the effort to organize an ALZAR sponsored panel for the next SALALM meeting. It is hoped that the 2012 theme (Popular Culture) will attract presenters. There were panels in 2008 in New Orleans and 2009 in Berlin, both of which were well attended, but there were not any for  2010 in Providence or 2011 in Philadelphia.
Action: Marisol will put out call for 2012 conference.

 

SALALM LVI
Saturday, May 28, 2011, 11:00 AM – 12:30pm

Attendees: Members: Laura D. Shedenhelm (University of Georgia); Paula Covington (Vanderbilt University); David Nolen (Mississippi State University) ; Richard Phillips, Peter S. Bushnell, Paul Losch ( University of Florida); Adan Benavides, David Block (University of Texas at Austin); Gayle Williams (Florida International University); Hortensia Calvo ( Tulane University); Sarah Buck Kachaluba (Florida State University); Meiyolet Méndez (University of Miami); Holly Ackerman (Duke University); Teresa Chapa (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) Non-members: Tomás Bocanegra (Colegio de México); Gerada Holder (NALIS); Sofía Becerra-Licha (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill); Margarita Vannini (IHNCA, Universidad Centroamericana)

Teresa Chapa (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill), the LASER Convener, opened the meeting by remarking on the gratifyingly large number of attendees. Introductions followed. A list was circulated for attendance and for those who want their names added to the LASER listserv.

Holly Ackerman moved that minutes of the last meeting be accepted. Laura Shedenhelm seconded and minutes were unanimously approved.
Teresa reminded the group that institutional updates will not be reviewed at the LASER meetings but will be sent out on the listserv.
Teresa announced that this was the 25th anniversary of ENLACE and encouraged our participation.

Teresa reviewed the themes from out last meeting – collaboration and cooperation in collection development. How to achieve greater coordination is the key. David Block summarized our efforts to date. In New Orleans we agreed to share information on whether we would purchase offers sent from one vendor for Andean publications. David pointed out that we do not need 12-20 copies of a work. Following the meeting in New Orleans, David sent out offers for collective consideration and we initially were indicating the intention to buy an item. It seemed that we were not reducing the number of institutions acquiring titles. As the experiment progressed we felt comfortable indicating that we would not buy an item. Gayle Williams asserted that it was still too early to judge the success of this experiment.

Richard Phillips questioned what the relationship of this experiment was to the Farmington Plan wherein universities had committed themselves to collecting along lines of faculty and institutional strength. Richard added that under the Farmington Plan, Florida has been committed to collecting on the Caribbean for so long that it would make no sense for them to alter that pattern or to reduce the amount they buy. Teresa pointed out that, in contrast to the Farmington commitments, our current efforts are regional rather than national and that they are informal. She reminded the group that we had also discussed dividing up deep collecting by choosing to collect comprehensively on selected Mexican states. Mai Mendez suggested that we also do this by publisher and/or state in Argentina. She offered to draw up a list of publishers derived from the approval plan from her university and to circulate it to LASER members.
David felt we needed more specificity as far as what our specialties include. Phil MacLeod suggested that we define a core and then divide up the more detailed subjects. Adan Benavides pointed out that some vendors’ catalogs, for example those from Books from Mexico, show which institutions have received a book on approval thus allowing us to see the extent to which a book is held in our region. Paula Covington thought that we need to focus on lists earlier in the selection process. David recommended that we organize around some benchmarks such as assuring that one institution has the national gazette and a major newspaper for each country. The need for coordination among SALALM’s regional groups was also discussed and Teresa Chapa agreed to talk with the conveners of the other regional groups to let them know what we are doing and to see what collaborative efforts they may have in place.
David suggested we select a country for which no LASER library has collecting responsibility and try a cooperative experiment to avoid overlap and to increase uniqueness. The possibility of a Central American country was discussed. Phil and Laura described the cooperative efforts they have in place with Emory buying in the social sciences and Georgia selecting in the Humanities. They compare invoices and identify duplication and core authors and subjects and are now coordinating their plans through Vientos Tropicales.
Laura agreed to coordinate an experiment on Paraguayan imprints. Participating institutions are Duke, Emory, Texas, U. Georgia, U. Miami, UNC. Laura will contact the group regarding next steps.
Paula reminded us that the LASER website is now at Vanderbilt and that she would like to receive suggestions on features to be added to the site. She demonstrated a website constructed in Omni software. She would like to convert the LASER page to an Omni format but does not want to do so unless other LASER institutions have OMNI so that the site can move to another institution with minimal difficulty. Members will check with their institution and report back to Paula. Suggestions for website additions included: a listing of digital libraries; a chart showing institutional collection strengths; acquisitions news; lists of OP vendors by country; and a LASER blog. Paula requested that members send updates to their microfilm union list this summer.
The meeting adjourned at 12:30.

 

Teresa Chapa, Convener
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill