SALALM 60
Sunday, June 14, 2015, 4:00-6:00pm
East Pyne 010

Present Executive Board: Luis A. González, Paloma Celis-Carbajal, Roberto C. Delgadillo Hortensia Calvo, Peter T. Johnson, Daisy Domínguez, Melissa Gasparotto, Sócrates Silva, Teresa Chapa, David Dressing, and Suzanne M. Schadl and Craig Schroer (Rapporteurs).

Also present: Sarah Buck-Kachaluba, Melissa Guy, Miguel A. Valladares, Paula Covington, Fernando Acosta-Rodríguez, John B. Wright, Ruby Gutierrez, Ricarda Musser, S. Lief Adleson, Michael Scott, Bridget Gazzo, Barbara Alvarez, Nerea A. Llamas, Mary Jo Zeter, Phil MacLeod , Gayle Williams, Georgette Dorn, Rafael E. Tarragó, Peter Stern, Mei Méndez, Manuel Ostos, David Woken, Betsaida Reyes, Alison Hicks, Sarah Aponte, Nelson Santana, Diana Moronta, Tracy North, Molly Molloy, Adán Griego, Lisa Gardinier, Antonio Sotomayor, Tim Thompson, Talia Guzmán, Ryan Lynch, Ellen Jaramillo.

I. The meeting was called to order at 4:07 PM with President Luis A. González presiding.

II. The minutes distributed via e-mail in advance of the meeting on June 10, 2015 required the following changes, noted in the attached revision:

1).Under section 2: Constitution & Bylaws Committee, “working with members to approve changes to the bylaws” should be changed to “working on the operational handbook to align wording with the approved bylaws.”

2). Under D. Interest Groups the following edits were recommended:

Under 3. Libreros, “Fix Lief reporting for Alejandra” should be changed to “Lief Adleson reporting for Alejandra Cordero Berenguer”

Under 4. Affiliated Groups:

“LANE, Fernando Fix” should be changed to “LANE: Jesus Alonso Regalado”

“MOLLAS, Fix Paloma” should be changed to “MOLLAS, Paloma Celis-Carbajal”

3). Before Future Meetings, New Business should be added and it should include the following text “Paul– presenting findings” should be changed to:

“Paul Losch and Daisy Domínguez presented findings from SALALM Conference

Member Satisfaction Online Survey, which was administered by the Members-at-Large (2013-2014) and which was distributed to the board prior to the meeting. Daisy Domínguez noted that the board could use the survey to identify how best to ensure member satisfaction.

Paloma Celis-Carbajal presented the possibility of a joint conference with the Consortium of Latin American Studies Programs (CLASP) which Paul Losch noted would be exciting — since the group is a small area studies group, more manageable than LASA.”

III. Reports

A. Officers

1. President: Luis A. González extended a welcome to all and thanks to Fernando Acosta-Rodríguez and everyone working on Local Arrangements. He concluded by expressing his excitement for a great conference.

2. Vice-President/President-Elect, Paloma Celis Carbajal: No report.

3. Past President: Roberto Delgadillo reported slow but steady progress on publication of the conference proceedings from Salt Lake City, noting that a transition to the 16th Edition of Chicago Manual of Style was taking some additional time. He also thanked Fernando Acosta-Rodríguez and Luis A. González for organizing the current venue and what looks to be a promising conference.

4. Executive Director: Hortensia Calvo reported on membership statistics to May 30, 2015. The fiscal year ends August 31, 2015, so the year-end numbers will be slightly different. As of this date, SALALM had 242 personal and 84 institutional members, including 23 sponsoring institutions, with Digitalia and University of Virginia as new members. This total of 326 members overall is higher than last year with a total of 227 personal and 91 institutional members, including 19 sponsors, for a total of 318. Calvo noted that an increase in membership suggests SALALM is going against trends and she praised the Membership Committee. She also commended members who paid membership renewals on time, noting that early payment aids conference planning by making available funds apparent early in the planning process. Calvo also reported that up-to-date Executive Board decisions have been added into the existing Code of Executive Board Decisions which can be found at http://salalm.org/about/organization/code-of-executive-board-decisions/. She asked the Board to sign the Whistle Blower and Conflict of Interest survey. In addition, Calvo introduced two new agenda items: 1). the necessity for a parliamentarian and archivist, a position Roberto Delgadillo volunteered to occupy, and 2). a question of how to proceed with the SALALM collections survey.

5. Treasurer: Peter Johnson noted his recent circulation of Money Matters 5 which explains SALALM income and expenses. He highlighted FY revenue totaling $189,256 with expenses of $129,206. Total assets in various bank accounts, including endowments amount to $1,015,195. The 59th Annual Conference in Salt Lake City received $24,690 in income and had $20,066.75 in expenses, excluding the Libreros’ reception (event given by the Libreros and not SALALM). He reported that monetary contributions for the Endowment, Scholarship and ENLACE amounted to $4,029 with an additional estimated value of $1,000 from the ENLACE raffle prizes.

6. Rapporteurs General: Suzanne Schadl & Craig Schroer reported that they would be looking for a replacement for Suzanne Schadl for 2016-2019. Craig Schroer will continue as Co-Rapporteur.

7. Members-at-Large:

Wendy Pedersen: no report

Daisy Domínguez: no report

Melissa Gasparotto: no report

Sócrates Silva: no report

Teresa Chapa: reported that she had been asked by some in the membership to address the possibility of using third party organizations to plan future conferences. Adán Griego followed with a brief commentary, noting ALA was contracting with companies in San Francisco to handle details. Roberto C. Delgadillo suggested that it would be useful to identify a task force to address the issue. Teresa Chapa said she was willing to pursue the question informally. S. Lief Adelson iterated that planning in some cases could be an arduous task for members with no prior experience, resulting in higher rates. John B. Wright cautioned, noting that in such contracted cases, all profit tends to go to the third party. Paula Covington noted that the Secretariat does have experience resulting from many years of working closely with organizers; but no harm could come from researching possibilities. Hortensia Calvo added that San Francisco is a very expensive city and is not the norm.  Nonetheless, in some particularly expensive venues contracted help might be an advantage. Fernando Acosta-Rodríguez suggested giving hosts the option. Luis A. González asked that an action item be identified and he asked Teresa Chapa to investigate and come back to the Board.

David Dressing: no report

8. Executive Board Committees

Local Arrangements: Fernando Acosta-Rodríguez thanked office and staffing at Princeton’s conference services for their great work and reported 142 registrations, 11 of which were students and 9 of which were one day registrations. He felt the conference would be a financial success. To date, he noted seven onsite registrants and 36 exhibitors. Ruby González directed attention to the 60th anniversary T-shirt and asked if they could be purchased electronically. Hortensia Calvo suggested the secretariat could work with Local Arrangements to distribute revenue properly. Adán Griego thanked conference planners for free printing and helpful reference assistance.

Bylaws: John B. Wright stated the Committee would get bylaws posted on website and that by August, the first section of the Handbook would be posted as well. Periodic additional uploads throughout the year would enable them to get the whole document posted by next year.

Policy, Research & Investigation: Ellen Jaramillo invited members interested in establishing new committees to speak with John B. Wright, Gayle Williams, or herself before the deadline Tuesday June 16, 2015.

Editorial Board: Paula Covington reporting for Orchid Mazurkiewicz stated that the conference proceedings from SALALM 58 had gone out and the SALALM 59 papers were in process. She added that the Bibliographies begun in 2010 would also be out soon and that Melissa Gasparotto is working with the Latin American Information Series, and anyone with short bibliographic projects should contact her. Additionally she praised Tim Thompson’s steady work with the online repository.

Membership: Adán Griego reminded members of the new member orientation that evening and highlighted a steady increase in membership, which he noted defied trends. He commended Barbara Alvarez’s work on the mentoring program, which made eight matches last year and five this year. Additionally he reminded the membership of his and Roberto C. Delgadillo’s workshop at ALA, suggesting they would like to add one additional SALALM member. He also noted that, due to structural problems with the online membership forms, members renewing three years may not have been able to identify committee preferences. He reported that several members had been nominated for honorary memberships and that the Board would be revisiting guidelines for this honor.

Scholarship: Mary-Jo Zeter reported growth in scholarship funds and interest in this fourth year, with conference travel rather than cash awards. The Committee awarded 5 (out of 14) applicants with travel scholarships this year. She added that A.J. Johnson and Nathalie Soini would be co-chairing this Committee next year. Paloma Celis-Carbajal asked if the Board needed to announce new Committee chairs and Roberto C. Delgadillo clarified that they would need to be appointed by the vice-president as part of the town hall announcement of the officers.

Finance: Paula Covington reported on the positive status of finances and the endowment, and offered praise to Peter T. Johnson for the incredibly time-consuming work he does to secure financial solvency. She noted a profit of $5,000 from Salt Lake City and suggested an expected profit from Princeton. As part of SALALM’s financial success, the Finance Committee was able to approve 5 conference fellowships; and the Committee was considering a potential memorial for Dan Hazen. She reported that Sarah Buck-Kachaluba will take over as the new chair and encouraged anyone with budget requests to contact her. Luis A. González opened a discussion of a fellowship in Dan Hazen’s name and noted that Peter T. Johnson would address the issue. A discussion ensued on the intention of the scholarship to foster a new generation, and several members noted that support for existing members to conduct research and maximize opportunities for professional development would round out that mission. Initial awards could come from interest from the endowment. Paloma Celis-Carbajal supported the establishment of an advisory committee to establish this fellowship by December.

Outreach/Enlace: Betsaida Reyes reported there were 3 ENLACE conference awards rather than 2 this year thanks to a generous gift from Susan Bach Books. She noted that finances were good thanks to donations and previous raffle success. She encouraged members to buy raffle tickets. As ENLACE looks to celebrate its 30th year anniversary, the Committee is considering some commemorative action. Some discussion followed about ideas for keeping ENLACE award winners engaged with SALALM after the conferences. Peter T. Johnson suggested offering a half-priced membership, but needed to determine how to make that possible. Teresa Chapa suggested changing the membership model, and looking at other models for membership fees, such as ALA. Luis A. González encouraged ENLACE and Membership to get together, determine a course of action, and report to the Executive Board.

José Toribio Medina Award: Peter Stern reported that requirements for the award are in a state of flux and that an award will be announced this year.

Nominations: Phil MacLeod reported that he would be cycling off the Committee and that nominations should be sent along to the Committee. He wanted to clarify that SALALM has transitioned successfully to electronic balloting and that should be noted in the Operational Handbook. Also important for the Handbook is the stipulation that nominees be members in good standing.

Communications: Melissa Gasparotto reported on the success of the webpage, gaged through visits and links pushing SALALM into diverse spaces. She commended Adán Griego, Tim Thomson and Alison Hicks for keeping the page fresh with blog posts that invite multiple site visits. She noted an increase in visits from Brazil recently. She raised the question about the possibility of a YouTube channel to further bolster traffic to the site. Peter T. Johnson and Hortensia Calvo recommend that the Committee submit a formal proposal. Peter T. Johnson noted the importance of ensuring that any media use pass legal muster.

9. Interest/Topical Groups

HAPI: Ruby Gutiérrez reporting for Orchid Mazurkiewicz noted that a price change announcement has gone out and that the HAPI webpage offers a breakdown. Like other databases, HAPI fees would be based on student enrollment. She added that they were working to secure public memberships as well as community college memberships. She reminded members that the new site is searchable in Spanish and Portuguese and noted that usability testing is demonstrating positive usage. She closed by recognizing and commending Joseph Holub on 25 years of HAPI indexing

2. LAMP, Suzanne Schadl reported a successful (less than two hour) meeting with four funded projects; 2 microfilm and 2 digital.

3. Libreros, Oscar Puvill offered no report.

4. Affiliated groups

CALAFIA, Adán Griego reported they had met and had no substantive issues to report.

LANE, Michael Scott reported that pragmatic questions about institutional similarities and differences had inspired discussion, which he hoped would continue.

LASER, Philip S. MacLeod reported on a discussion of potential collaborative collection development, and suggested it could be best accomplished across groups.

MOLLAS, Rafael E. Tarragó reporting for José Díaz noted that targeted questions had opened discussion that will continue within the group.

ALZAR, Suzanne Schadl reported that the group had met and that discussion and plans for improving on the current delivery of resources were underway. She noted that Roberto C. Delgadillo would be spearheading that effort as the new Chair for ALZAR.

ISiS, Miguel A. Valladares Llata reported that ISiS had decided to change their name to SIS.

5. LARRP, Melissa Guy reported that LARRP had heard and discussed several proposals and invited recommendations, noting that the board would vote late in the summer or in early fall.

10.  Ad Hoc Groups

Webinar Pilot Project Working Group: Luis A. González reporting for Orchid Mazurkiewicz asked if we could table this discussion for the time being.

11. Future Meetings

In 2015, we will be in Charlottesville, VA from Many 9-13, hosted by the University of Virginia; Miguel Valladares Llata is serving as chair of Local Arrangements. The topic of the meeting will address resistance and resilience in Latin American Studies; and rooms will be available in the Omni Hotel for approximately $130/room.

Barbara Alvarez at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor has developed and is presenting a proposal to host SALALM 62 in Ann Arbor, utilizing campus and spaces central to the university. El Colegio de México has also developed and is presenting a proposal to host SALALM in 2017.

12. New Business

The Membership Committee submitted three proposals for honorary membership and the Executive Board met in closed session to discuss these proposals.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:04 PM

 

Comments are closed.