- Conference Theme
- Hotel & Local Info
- Reports | Minutes | Presentations
- Past Conferences
Friday, May 17, 2013, 2:00-3:00pm
Chair: Sarah Buck Kachaluba (Florida State University)
Minutes taken by: Emma Marschall (Tulane University)
In Attendance: Sarah A. Buck Kachaluba (Florida State University), Cecilia Sercan (Cornell University), Michael Scott (Georgetown University), Philip MacLeod (Emory University), Emma Marschall (Tulane University), Laura Shedenhelm (University of Georgia), Lisa Gardinier (University of Iowa), Hortensia Calvo (Tulane University), David Woken (University of Oregon), Chris Hernandez (Tulane University), Socrates Silva (University of California Santa Barbara), Gayle Wiliams (Florida International University), Melissa Guy (Arizona State University), Margarita Vanini (IHNCA/UCA, Nicaragua), Antonio Sotomayor (University of Illinois), Peter Altekrueger (IAI Berlin), and Christoph Müller (IAI Berlin) [17 people]
1. Sarah Buck Kachaluba asked for volunteers to replace her as chair of the committee. No one came forward so she asked those present to think about it and please contact her.
3. Sarah Buck Kachaluba gave a very brief report on collection statistics gathering for the past year. Eighteen people/institutions reported. The statistics are done but have not been submitted. Sarah will get them on the website ASAP.
4. General Introductions
5. Melissa Guy, Gayle Williams, and Sarah Buck Kachaluba facilitated a discussion and brainstorming session on how to approach and organize a book on Collecting Latin America. Some key questions discussed were:
- What would make this publication unique and worthwhile to an academic or other publisher?
- How could it be structured? Focus on the relevance of Latin American collections today and divide by subjects, or by institutions/collections? One approach is to have sections with thematic/theoretical overviews followed by case studies of individual examples. Possible sections include an Introduction to Latin American Collections and the Field of Latin American Studies, Collecting and Collection Development for Latin Americana, Access to Latin American materials in libraries, and Special Latin American Collections.
- Who is the intended audience? Possible answers include library administrators, Latin Americanist librarians, Latin Americanist faculty members, and prospective Latin Americanist librarians.
All SALALMistas are encouraged to send ideas to Sarah Buck Kachaluba, Melissa Guy, Gayle Williams, and Daisy Domínguez by July 10th.
Sarah, Melissa, Gayle, and Daisy will synthesize this information and resend to the committee and anyone else who participates for approval.
TagsAdán Griego Alison Hicks Anne Barnhart archives art audiovisual cataloging Committee Report David Block digitization documentaries Ellen Jaramillo Executive Board Meeting Minutes Fernando Acosta-Rodríguez Fernando Genovart Finance Committee Report Human Rights Interlibrary Cooperation Committee Report John Wright keynote Lisa Gardinier Lluis Claret Lynn Shirey Marisol Ramos Meiyolet Mendez Melissa Gasparotto Melissa Guy Mexico Paloma Celis Carbajal Paula Covington Peter Johnson rapporteur reports Richard Phillips Roberto C. Delgadillo SALALM56 SALALM57 SALALM 58 SALALM58 SALALM59 SALALM60 SALALM61 Sarah Buck Kachaluba Sarah Yoder Leroy Suzanne M. Schadl Teresa Chapa