SALALM Editorial Board Report

Saturday, June 16, 3-4:30 p.m.

Present: Melissa Gasparotto, Peter Stern, Víctor Torres, Gayle Williams, Hortensia Calvo, Fernando Acosta Rodríguez, Orchid Mazurkiewicz (chair)

1. Publications and works in progress – Orchid and Gayle

SALALM Papers

 SALALM 53 (Wright, 2008) is published

 SALALM 54 (Graham, 2009) is at the printers

 SALALM 55 (Acosta, 2010) is with the typesetter; first proof is expected in two weeks

 SALALM 56 (Llamas, 2011) has been received; aim to publish by early 2013

Bibliography of Bibliographies

 Bibliography of Latin American & Caribbean Bibliographies 2006/2007-2007/2008—is nearly ready; expected delivery to Secretariat for publication in August

 Bibliography of Latin American & Caribbean Bibliographies 1990-1999—still working with Scarecrow Press on revisions; might be published by end of 2012

Bibliography and Reference Series

 Directory of Vendors of Latin American Library Materials, revised edition—someone to take this over from Gayle?

o Considering vacation, probably done in about 8 weeks after that

o Melissa noted that the vendors’ page on the SALALM site does get a lot of hits. Perhaps an online version (members’ only access?) might be best suited for a revised edition. Orchid will check in with Lynn Shirey and Sandra Pike-Raichel to see if they might be interested in doing another revised edition.

 Rafael Tarragó, “The Ignored Contender: A Select Annotated Bibliography of the  Cuban Autonomist Party”—to be considered

o The board wanted to review the criteria for the B&R series. Orchid will try to find this in her files and share with the group.

o The board will review the Tarragó typescript and provide comments by the end of August.

2. Latin American Information Series – Melissa

 Melissa has received three incomplete proposals and has requested full proposals.

3. Medina Award – Víctor

 No award was given this year. Due to past practice in the composition of the Medina Award panel, this means that there is only one person on the panel (past-awardee Molly Molloy). As the Operational Handbook states that the Editorial Board appoints the members of the panel and makes no mention of selecting only past-awardees, Gayle and Peter will fill the two empty spaces. Orchid will contact Molly to ask whether she’d like to remain on the committee. The Board thanks Víctor for his extended service on the panel.

 Víctor will distribute panel instructions he has prepared to the board for review.

4. HAPI – Orchid

 Due to time constraints this was moved to the end of the agenda, but the meeting was adjourned before it could be discussed.

5. Online repository/reading room proposal – Orchid and Melissa

 There was an overall positive response to the proposal. Melissa has already been informally collecting presentations from past SALALM meetings that could be included. We would want to make sure the content is discoverable in Google. It was agreed that it should be open access and there should be a mechanism for review prior to an item posting on the site. Melissa will investigate the possibility of getting an intern to help with setting up a site. She and Orchid will keep the board apprised of developments in the project.

6. Putting back-issues of SALALM publications online – Orchid

 BYU will be providing us with electronic files of the back issues of the SALALM newsletters and items from the B&R series. There was a general sense that we would like to make content available online but that perhaps a “moving wall” on access to recent publications could be established so that we don’t jeopardize sales or undermine the value of institutional memberships. Hortensia will pull together data on publication sales for the last ten years so that we can decide on a possible cut-off date. It was agreed that we could go ahead with the newsletters as the most recent ones are already online on the website.

7. Possible changes to SALALM Papers permissions form – Melissa

 There was agreement that we should update our copyright permissions form for the SALALM Papers to ask for non-exclusive distribution rights. Melissa has investigated best practices and has some suggested language. The meeting had to be adjourned so this item will be followed-up on via email after the meeting.

 

Comments are closed.