The Research and Instruction Librarian at the Latin American Library develops research services, instructional programs, and engages in collection development for the Latin American Library, in consultation with the Director of the LAL. With a strong command of Spanish, oral and written, s/he combines advanced research expertise, information fluency, and outreach with collection development in Latin American and Caribbean Studies. With LAL librarians, s/he serves as liaison to relevant campus faculty, departments and programs, seeking ways to engage students and faculty on campus. The LAL Research and Instruction Librarian also coordinates the LAL web site and the Library’s presence on social media. S/he serves on library committees, collaborates and coordinates activities with other librarians and units, and actively participates in national and international professional and scholarly associations.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Librarians are academic appointees; librarians do not have tenure or faculty rank, but in other respects receive the benefits of faculty members; generous benefits including a choice of health plans, tuition waiver for self, and undergraduate tuition waiver for dependents.
Environment Tulane University is an AAU/Carnegie Research Institution and ranked by U.S. News and World Report among the top fifty national universities in the United States. The university is located in beautiful uptown New Orleans where it borders the St. Charles Avenue streetcar line and Audubon Park. Howard-Tilton Memorial Library is the University’s main library with an ARL research collection of more than four million titles.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- ALA-accredited MLS or its equivalent and a degree in a relevant subject area; OR advanced degree in a relevant subject area and substantial professional experience in an academic library;
- Excellent command of English and Spanish, spoken and written;
- Advanced knowledge of the history, politics, economics, literatures and cultures of Latin America and the Caribbean
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
1. Familiarity with electronic resources and reference tools for Latin American and Iberian Studies
2. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and a proven record of working well in a team and with the public
- The LAL Research and Instruction Librarian will be expected to keep abreast of research trends in Latin American Studies, develop expertise in emerging technologies, and participate in innovative library projects.
- Competence in Portuguese or willingness to acquire competency.
To Apply. To apply for this position please go to Tulane Jobs IRC11018. To ensure full consideration, applicants must submit a letter of application, resume, and the names with full contact information of at least three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate is selected.
Tulane University is an AA/EO Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Tulane is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.
- New Orleans, Louisiana, 70118, United States
- January 9, 2017
- Research & Instruction Librarian, The Latin American Library
- Tulane University, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library
- Academic/Research (College/University)